Commissioners: No blasting for project site
The Carbon County Commissioners, in a press release issued Friday evening, confirmed that there will be no blasting done during the rock removal part of the proposed Susquehanna Street building project.
The commissioners said they feel compelled to make this announcement, which is a reiteration of previously stated facts that there will be no blasting at the site, because of a front page caption in Friday’s Times News that incorrectly stated “the project calls for blasting to remove tons of rock from the back of the property.”
Commissioners Wayne Nothstein, Tom Gerhard and William O’Gurek responded, “When we met with representatives of the church, we shared their concern about protecting the integrity of the church and, in particular, shared their concern about how blasting could have an adverse effect on the church’s stained-glass windows, foundation and structure.
“Accordingly, the commissioners immediately instructed the architect and construction manager on the project that they will not allow any blasting whatsoever at the site. Moreover, the contract specifications call for intense monitoring by an independent, highly qualified company during the removal process.”
The commissioners said all of the plans presented to authorities having approval decisions for the project were made aware of the commissioners’ edict right from the start and several times since then.