1 injured in Lake Hauto fire
A homeowner was injured in an early morning fire in the Lake Hauto community of Nesquehoning.
According to reports at the scene, the person suffered third-degree burns of the face, hands and feet.
The patient was taken by ambulance to Lehigh Valley Hospital. Ambulance crews called for a helicopter, but foggy conditions prevented air transport.
Firefighters from Nesquehoning were summoned to Club Drive just after 5 a.m.
Shortly thereafter, the county’s 911 center also called Lansford and Summit Hill firefighters to the scene, as well as the Mahoning Valley Ambulance and Lehighton ALS.
Fire companies from Nesquehoning, Lansford, Tamaqua, Rush Township, Quakake, Jim Thorpe, Mahoning were on scene.
When crews arrived on scene they found a fully involved one-story ranch home.
The gated community has an old fire hydrant system. This forced firefighters to rely on their tanker supplies and dry hydrants set up to pump water from the lake.
"The borough and Lake Hauto Club recently entered into an agreement to let the fire departments use the dry hydrant," said Nesquehoning Hose Company No. 1 fire chief John McArdle. "In today's fire, they played an effective role in firefighting."
The lack of adequate water supply for firefighting purposes has been a concern expressed several times by fire officials to the Lansford-Coaldale Joint Water Authority.
Allyson Kusko contributed to this report.